If you are in the agriculture business, you know how important your equipment is to productivity. Just one day of downtime may cause great damage to your machinery and not to mention delays in the schedule.
Whether you are using trucks, tractors, combine harvesters, sprayers, track loaders or other agricultural machinery, these complex pieces of equipment have to perform intense activities under extreme conditions. A good lubricant is necessary and highly recommended to protect your equipment and improve its performance.
Types of Lubricants used in agriculture
Every farmer strives for profitability and progress. However, to truly take advantage of these benefits, you need to focus on choosing the right type of lubricant for your machinery.
- Engine Oil – Choosing quality lubricant for the engine should be a top priority. It minimizes the chances of damage and failure. High-performing engine oil designed for farm equipment should provide deposit protection, protection against wear and tear and corrosion, friction preventions, and longevity. These heavy-duty oils can withstand demanding conditions.
- Gear and transmission oil – Gear oil or transmission oil is lesser-known but necessary for any motor vehicle to function properly. It extended the life of transmissions, transfer cases, and differentials and ensured smooth functioning. They are composed of mineral, semi/fully synthetic base oils, and additives.
- Greases – An effective grease should provide a protective barrier against contamination by both fluid and solid contaminants. A high-performing grease will protect the machinery from rust and corrosion and prolong the life of your equipment.
- Hydraulic – Hydraulics are unique as they perform a dual role of lube and a power transfer device. Hydraulic possess properties similar to most other lubes including – anti-wear performance; filterability; deductibility; rust and corrosion inhibition; and viscosity along with foaming resistance and air release; thermal, oxidation, and hydrolytic stability.
Benefits of Lubrication
- Increase equipment efficiency and performance
The primary role of any good lubricant is to increase equipment reliability, boost performance, and improve efficiency. As farming machinery and equipment are often exposed to extreme working conditions, and heavy usage, a smart choice of lubricant is essential for keeping the equipment up and running. Lubricants specific to the agriculture industry are formulated to prevent contamination, protect the machinery against oxidation, corrosion, and rust, as well as provide longer oil drain intervals, which results in reduced oil consumption. Using the right lubricants increases equipment uptime, and ensures operational reliability, no matter the weather conditions or terrain.
- Protect your equipment and prolong its life
Operating outdoors and often in adverse weather conditions, agricultural equipment is susceptible to rust and corrosion. Working in wet weather can lead to oxidation issues and vehicles and equipment often get attacked by rust. The build-up of sludge and debris is another common reason for damage to the equipment used on rural terrain. A lubricant that is purposefully developed to withstand such demands can provide constant protection and extend the service life of your farming machinery. They are also known to increase the resistance of your machinery to heavy loads and high pressure.
- Lower maintenance cost
Whether machinery is freestanding or on the move, in order for it to deliver top performance, it will need all its working parts moving easily and efficiently. And as the saying goes, ‘only a well-oiled machine runs smoothly’, the right lubricant will ensure just that! A well-oiled machinery is less likely to require expensive repair work that might disrupt a work schedule and have a negative impact on operations.
- Increase yields
If you keep your agricultural equipment well maintained to minimize its downtime and maximize operational reliability, you will experience maximum performance and smooth operation. Which results in greater yield, and higher profits.
Understanding the lubrication needs of your equipment in the farming industry is vital to boosting productivity and maximizing profits. To achieve the best results, make sure to choose the right lubricant for your individual business needs. Only then will you be able to reap all the benefits lubrication has to offer.